This is the point where software is ready to be passed along to the user/customer, an official release. We will want to formalize the process of releasing the softare.
For example, when a new release is cut, the following process may be in place:
- Commit to main in Github repository
- New version number is generated
- Automated build is triggered
- Automated system tests are run
- New binary test images are copied to a distribution server or pushed to production servers
- The actual process will vary according to many factors of the application
With every successful software project you will be doing releases regularly. It is best to make your release as easy and painless as possible.
With any luck, the delivery of your very first copy of the software will not be the last.
The journey has only just begun. You are going to be living with it for a LONG time.
Make your software development process easy and predictable!